(0 rates)
    • October 13, 2011 10:08 AM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For those of you that sell on Ebay, what do you think of the new changes to the site?  Me? I'm not a happy camper.

I use Ebay for research, especially on pricing since I figure that my booth is competing with Ebay to a certain extent.  It at least provides me with a starting point.  I also use it for research on identification.  Not that I take someone's word on Ebay on what something is but it often gives me...again...a starting point.

Well, now thins are different and they have taken away the ability to see what shipping was on sold items and have taken away the ability to see large photos of sold items. 

The way I see it is that I am still paying the same fees that I was a week ago yet they have taken away two tools that I use every day.  What's your take on the changes....Good? Bad? Could care less?

• October 13, 2011 10:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Have not seen those changes. Does not sound good. They seem determined to destroy the golden goose.
    • October 13, 2011 10:21 AM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

On that note - does anyone know who owns Worthpoint.com? It's like Ebay is forcing people to use a service for pricing & identification and am wondering if Ebay has an interest in worthpoint.
    • October 13, 2011 10:38 AM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

You know that wiki would know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worthpoint

I've used Worthpoint for a while and found it somewhat useful. I wouldn't say it was terrific though.
    • October 13, 2011 10:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know that Worthpoint.com owns goantiques.com - I sell on goantiques.com and am automatically a member of Worthpoint. I find it useful to see what items actually sold for.
    • October 13, 2011 10:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I used to sell on goantiques, may try it again. That was before broadband internet and it was so sloooow.If you are not on Worthpoint you have to pay to see a price.
    • October 13, 2011 12:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Daye Salander said:
      On that note - does anyone know who owns Worthpoint.com? It's like Ebay is forcing people to use a service for pricing & identification and am wondering if Ebay has an interest in worthpoint.

I have no idea Daye, but I run into that site quite often. I usually find some good info, but can't access the "values"....no biggie to me though.

• October 13, 2011 12:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

In January 2009, WorthPoint signed a partnership agreement with eBay research and educational firm Terapeak, whose parent company is AERS.[7] Under the terms of the agreement, AERS will provide WorthPoint with eBay’s entire daily sales of antique and collectible data for inclusion in WorthPoint’s database. In addition, Terapeak will re-sell WorthPoint’s knowledge-based products, which will be incorporated into the database.
      If I sell an item the information also belongs to me, yet I see no remuneration from ebay or worthpoint or AERS.
    • October 13, 2011 1:23 PM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a real problem with this. Also went to print shipping labels this morning and spent almost 15 minutes and still have to go to the post office and stand in line to buy postage.
    • October 14, 2011 5:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have not noticed those changes at this time.  I am unhappy about the new final value fees for shipping.  it is double jeopardy to my small profits.   

Listing fee + picture fee + final value + final value for shipping + palpal fee = small profits for the little seller. Also, their steady hikes in those fees.

It is like many other auction sites...........where do you go for the best exposure?

• October 14, 2011 7:39 AM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm feeling much better this morning. Either Ebay was just having technical problems or enough people screamed that they restored the ability to see the sold items along with photos and shipping costs...so that is all cool

I can feel for you Betty. We have not really noticed an impact for our shipping does not include any profit so when the change came, we didn't feel the impact. I do understand for smaller items though that there is a few bucks stashed in the shipping so that you actually money.

I have not used any other "auction" sites - has anyone else?
    • October 14, 2011 8:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just thought we'd mention our site www.mynotera.com. It's an internet auction venue for antique and vintage only items (a policy about which we are pretty strict, removing items that don't fit). People have their favorite sites they enjoy working with, but we have been online almost 2 years. Basic listings are free with low final auction fees. We don't care how you want to get paid for your items. Listings can include 8 images for free. Take a look..... it might fit your needs!
    • October 14, 2011 9:14 AM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What kind of traffic do you get there on mynotera.com?
    • October 18, 2011 8:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have been hearing complaints about Ebay increasingly over the past couple years.  We starting selling with Ebay in 97!  No newby here, and yes, I know they have made lots of changes and some I certainly don't like.  But you know, I have used other formats, Etsy, Bonanza and such... but one thing about Ebay you can't deny.... Ebay gets the traffic and if you want to move product you can sell it there.  Having been in retail with our own Antique Store for a dozen years I find selling on Ebay beats the heck out of hanging out in a store your whole life.... know what I mean???/ Cheryl

• October 18, 2011 8:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I hear ya Cheryl. My wife and I ran a store back when ebay was maybe a year old or two years old. I was trying to convince her we needed to bring a computer into the store so we could sell when nobody was coming in the doors....now she thinks it was a good idea 14 years later.
      I have been buying and selling on ebay since about 1996. I have had numerous names, mainly because I would take a break from the internet for months on end and didn't write passwords down.....so I started new accounts...not good I suppose but I am still there. I have been using the same name now since 2005. I am so involved online now that I know I will never forget my pass again LOL I have sold things on ebay that I could still be sitting on....you are right, you can't deny that. I can't tell you how many times I wished there was a new site that would take away the crowds for a less costly alternative. I often lose money selling these days because of their fees and paypal fees and then underestimating shipping really bites!
    • October 18, 2011 8:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

There is plenty of reason to complain about eBay. I find that they keep raising their fees and now they are charging a commission on shipping fees. I do understand that many overcharge for shipping, but there should be a better way. I have had my own store for 12 years and throughly enjoy it. I have also sold on eBay since 1997. I find that one works well with the other. I do agree with you that no other web site beats eBay as far as traffic and sales.I find that most of them cost even more that eBay.
    • October 18, 2011 8:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

One other thing. I have been hearing complaints about eBay since 1997:)
    • October 18, 2011 10:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just going to chime in a bit as the newbie here - I've been selling 1 year on eBay, so I haven't gone through all the changes you folks have. I wanted to comment on Bob's line about underestimating shipping - I don't have a bit of trouble with that. When I photograph my items, I take notes about feaures, size, etc. that I want to mention in the listing, then I wrap and pack in the shipping box. At that point, I weigh the item and mark it on the box along with a brief description. After completing all my photos and packing, I then move to the computer. When I create each listing, I enter the weight at that time and mark the shipping method I will be using. Because this allows the bidder to see the calculated shipping based on their zip code, I am rarely off. I've sold 200 items in the last year and have only been off on postage on 3 of them. When I combine shipping, it's really easy to just change it within eBay, so that's worked as well. The only issue I have is when someone wins muliple auctions and pays immediately without me having a chance to adjust the shipping. My innate honesty just won't let me take the extra money, even though I put it in big bold, colored text in my ad to not pay for multiple items until I recalculate and send an invoice. I know this is long-winded, but just thought I'd share my process just in case someone else could get some good out of it!
    • October 18, 2011 10:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just a quick thought - since I don' have a storefront or booth, I can pack the items up and leave them in a box. I guess you all that have stores may leave the items on display until they would sell on eBay, so my method isn't going to help!
    • October 19, 2011 4:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Teresa, Good job! If you work it right.. it works! and yes, there are some hassles but nothing compared to the alternatives. Sales can be strong. I think you actually have good methods. Like any business you win some and you lose some.
    • October 19, 2011 4:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bob, I know what you mean about the shipping loses but I think Teresa has a good method.
    • October 19, 2011 5:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I never leave an item on a store shelf while it is on eBay, too many mistakes can happen that way. As far as packing the items up before it is sold can be good until someone asks a question you never anticipated. I have made good money on eBay selling many items for more than I would have anywhere else. I have made every mistake that can be made too. However, eBay is not the ultimate way to sell it is just another way. One more thing about charges, when eBay started fees were less than 5% when most live auctions were charging 20% so it was quite a bargain.
    • October 19, 2011 8:25 AM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Teresa - A couple of questions...What kinds of things do you sell on Ebay? I find no problem if things ship in a flat rate box via USPS but a pain when I have to find a box, pack it up, measure it, then figure out the pricing for economy and expedited shipping to US, Canada, Europe, etc. It's easy to blow it if you are busy and do not have the time to spend an hour + on every listing. And we have not mentioned the buying, cleaning, researching, photographing, etc.
    • October 19, 2011 8:27 AM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We have a separate area where things are stored when on Ebay so there is no mix-up but when something does not sell then there is the matter of going thru boxes to find the item if it is not going to be re-listed and instead go into the antique mall. It takes a lot of space and a lot of organization.
    • October 19, 2011 8:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

We have estimated that it takes a minimum of one hour per item to sell on eBay. That is from the time you acquire it to the time you ship it and have a successful sale. I don't worry about the shipping too much as that is my wife's job:)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel