(0 rates)
    • January 22, 2013 10:12 PM CST
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Over the last year, I have noticed several trends that have jumped to life in our 55,000 sq ft antique mall.  One of them, notably was vintage luggage.  There were many weeks that I recall many, many pieces of luggage walking out the door.  

The price was good; somewhere between $8 to $14.  The items were not always perfect.  I remember talking to customers that were using them in many different methods of decorating in their homes.  Everything from four pieces of luggage stacked to make a nightstand; to cutting the luggage in half to make two cat beds.

This was during the late summer of 2012.  I watch as the prices started to creep up.  Soon, prices were in the upper teens to the mid twenties for the good pieces.

Sales slowed dramtically.

Did the price increase kill the trend?

Another trend I noticed was repainted vintage furniture.  This trend jumped up quickly.  Last year, dealers were selling the stuff like crazy.   Yep, seems like the increasing price of the items slowed the sales.

Is this just the supply & demand theory?  Or even the popularity theory?

Have you noticed other trends react like this?   

What's your thoughts?

Are dealers killing trends?

• January 23, 2013 8:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I have seen this happen before. I think you are right about the painted furniture, but I am not seeing it slow down yet. The biggest problem we are having with the suitcases are finding quality items at a price we can resale them. One other category I think will be affected by escalating prices is advertising signs.
    • January 24, 2013 10:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's funny today I almost felt like getting rid of my vintage suitcases.  I had moved them out of the living room because we had the carpet shampooed.  One holds fabrics one holds felted wool pieces for craft projects and one even holds my wedding dress.  I just did not know where to put the items inside so the suitcases are now back on display again.  So I think the trend has kind of died for suitcases.  I don't see quite as many in the antique stores. 

• January 28, 2013 1:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree with you, Dan!

I have been selling vintage suitcases for several years {always my BEST SELLERS!} - kept the prices the same {depending on the luggage}, never had a problem selling them. Then over the past year, I did notice them popping up everywhere and prices were quite high!

Same thing with painted furniture...my theory is that many shoppers who used to buy the painted furniture are NOW painting furniture and selling it too! It has become harder to find inexpensive pieces that are great candidates for a repaint...I think this trend is starting to decline.

• February 23, 2013 12:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A huge element of the popularity or lack thereof that particular item have is down, more often than not, to what is being shown in the popular interiors magazines.  People see a look they like, try it for a while, and then a new look will come along.  The trick is to be on the rising curve of the trend, and not the downward one.  I've often seen dealers who are on the rising curve bring in items to sell, they go really well and then other dealers (usually the same ones everytime) jump on the bandwaggon just in time for the trend to go over and then get stuck with a load of stock they can't shift.  The price usually has nothing to do with it although the price will go up as popularity increases but it rarely kills off the trend.  They just run their natural course.  As to who creates the trends, in my experience, it is usually high end interior decorators that do that, these interiors are covered in high end magazines, this look is copied by the more mainsream decorators, these in turn are featured in the more popular, mainstream magazines, tv shows etc and copied by the public.  Increasingly, tv shows are causing trends such as the recent obsession with Downton Abby which seems to have inspired no small amount of magazines to do pieces on how to achieve "the look".  This has caused a trend for silver candlesticks and engraved glassware  which will again drop away as soon as something else comes along.

• June 17, 2014 10:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Colm, you explained it perfectly.  Suburban Housewife sees it on TV, reads about it/sees it in high end decorating magazine, or sees it in a Tour of Homes in her area. BOOM! Popular.

Staying on top of these things is the key to staying ahead of the trends.  I come from a construction/remodeling background, and due to this have held subscriptions to various magazines that push these looks.  This is the ticket to staying ahead of the trend.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel