(0 rates)
    • October 28, 2014 10:31 PM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Start Discussing Tomorrow Today

As 2014 is winding down, it's time to start thinking about next year (and the year after that, etc).

What direction do you think this industry is heading?

Is the demographic of the customer changing?  In what direction?

Are antiques still popular or is another form of collecting on the rise?

Here's where the discussion starts.

• November 3, 2014 2:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

The is Now

To quote Gary Stover "Changes in business that used to take a generation, happen in less than a year"

This was one of the ideas that was impressed upon during my visit to Pubcon.  We should spent our time and enegy pressing into the new frontiers of online business.  We need understand that not only will our new customer emerge from this, but our existing customers are starting down the path of change.  The future recipe for success will be a strong mix of Bricks & Mortar and Online sales with a dash social media.

• November 3, 2014 4:00 PM CST
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled title

We often hear people talk about the Antique Mall setting was primarily only items that were over 100 years old.  Now, those places are rarely found. 

The shoppers of today in our mall are looking for a mix of antiques, repurposed and items that are in the "recent" years, but still highly collectible.

This post was edited by Daniel Briddle at November 3, 2014 4:02 PM CST
    • November 4, 2014 11:50 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Something New

One of the most profound changes in our business over the past year or so, I believe, is the ongoing development of google images. We've all been searching text for years, but I remember 15+ years ago when the text searches yielded a lot of garbage, as the image searches do now. The system became refined over time, and now we can find almost anything we're interested in in a matter of moments. I think that the same sort of development can be expected with image searching, which will probably proceed even faster than the development of text because of the mobile environment. We'll just take a photo of something with our smart phone, and then search that image online. I do that now with paintings and antiques that I'm trying to identify. Who could compete with just your own memory and experience against an online encyclopedia of images? No one, I think. One question for you, Dan, or for anyone who might know: are image searches color specific or is it only a search of structure? Thanks. Gary

• November 4, 2014 9:07 PM CST
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Google Images Color

Hi Gary,

Check this:  http://www.google.com/advanced_image_search

Also, I agree that technology continues to mold how collectors function. 

Frankly,  if those in the general 'antiques industry' don't embrace technology, then it's destined for real trouble.

• November 6, 2014 12:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Color Images

Thanks very much for the link, Dan. I guess google does have people on staff who understand that an image is more than an outline! Not surprising really. This feature changes everything for anybody in our business. Gary

• November 10, 2014 1:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Mix of Merchandise

Dan, you bring up a really important point about mix of merchandise in the mall. Scott & I discussed this in the show which aired last night (if you missed it, it will be up in the Videos section later this week). I'm about as traditional as any antiques dealer could be, but I definitely see the benefits of having a variety of things, some antique, some not, for sale in a large venue such as an antique mall, as we're trying to attract families to come to the mall for hours, and it's nice to have things that mom, pop, and the kids will all be interested in. The cafe helps too--sometimes old timers, such as myself, need to take a coffee break or have lunch. If people have to break to go elsewhere for a sandwich, then sometimes they may not come back. Gary

• December 15, 2014 5:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

I think industry is still strong but there has been an even bigger shift to online sales since everyone now has a smart phone and can shop from where ever they are. I used to have several booths among three different malls but now I'm down to a double booth in one and a display case in another. I have noticed the traffic continue to drop month after month and the turnover in the malls from dealers coming and going has been the most active I have seen in a long time. In one mall in small town just a few minutes from a large city that I used to have 4 booths in but now have none the traffic has gone from steady to non-existent. I can't even tell you how many times I've been there around opening at 9AM on a Saturday and have seen less that half a dozen shoppers by close at 5PM. Of the shoppers I do see they just walk around looking everything up online to see if they can flip it. There are less and less collectors and more sellers.

I have seen several malls close this past year while there has been a few new ones opening they can't keep pace with the numbers that are closing. It seems like people just don't want to shop antique malls like they use to. I've focused more on online sales and have seen a sharp increase in sales and it continues to grow. If traffic at the malls doesn't pick up soon then I will be forced to sell online only. The only positive thing I can think of for the lack of traffic is that it creates great buying opportunities when dealers give up on the malls and decide to sell their inventory really cheap. I've purchased inventory from several long time dealers as well as new sellers with high hopes that are soon dashed when things don't work out like they had envisioned.

I hope this trend turns around because I really like selling in the malls and I would hate to see them go. 

• December 18, 2014 1:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Malls vs Online

I see what you are seeing, Wally, but only at the malls & stores that haven't found a way to incorporate an online presence into their business model. I really don't believe that any retail establishment, in the antiques business or otherwise,  can thrive without having its nventory listed online. I have 7 locations in the Brass Armadillo Antique Mall in Denver, and they do well, but only because I list the inventory there on craigslist & the iAntique Classifieds. I don't know exactly how much sells because of the online listings because many of the people who come in off the craiglist ads are never in touch with me directly, but my guess is that 25-35% of my sales in the Mall are because of the online listings. Retail malls in every category are under pressure, but perhaps surprisingly the large regional upscale malls around the county are doing well, even in the face of online buying. One reason is that they cater to a more upscale audience, and antiques is about as upscale as you can get. It's the high end in retail that is thriving, and it's the high end in antiques that's thriving. 

• December 20, 2014 8:56 AM CST
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Yep

Wally Anderson said:

I think industry is still strong but there has been an even bigger shift to online sales since everyone now has a smart phone and can shop from where ever they are. I used to have several booths among three different malls but now I'm down to a double booth in one and a display case in another. I have noticed the traffic continue to drop month after month and the turnover in the malls from dealers coming and going has been the most active I have seen in a long time.

Wally, over the past couple months, I've started to hear from several eBay sellers that seem to be having better sales there (than previous years).

eBay still has a far reach.  They went through the negative period due to their fee stucture, but look what users are paying at etsy, Ruby Lane or GoAntiques.  Their monthly fees may not add up to what eBay charges for some users.

I might have to start a few eBay auctions and revisit how it may work for us on select items.

Dan

This post was edited by Daniel Briddle at December 20, 2014 8:57 AM CST

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel