(0 rates)
    • July 1, 2011 4:16 PM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Does anyone have a Google Plus connection yet (invite)?  I see the +1 indicator now shows up with the Google search results.  So, until the masses get to "use" Google Plus, it kind of remains an unknown element.  I've been reading up on how Google Plus is suppose to work, but I'd really like to kick the tires on it.

In other news, Facebook will apparently announce next week Skype-powered video chat in Facebook.  Are you ready for this feature?

• July 1, 2011 4:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Dan-not familiar with that one. Will read up on it. What Im REALLY waiting on is the Skype over Comcast. Soon we will be able to do video chat over the cable in HD!!! I knew it was coming when MS bought Skype for 8.5 billion on May 10th. I cant wait!!!!
    • July 9, 2011 6:47 PM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Ok, I just set my Google Plus account. Learning it now.
    • August 2, 2011 11:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Need to remember that the Google+ AND the Google +1 are different things too. The Google+ is more of the socializing like FB, and the +1 is kind of like using the Like Button on FB:)
    • August 2, 2011 1:52 PM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

For me, Google+ is off to a slow start. Waiting for widespread adoption
    • August 20, 2011 7:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Google+ *is* off to a slow start, Dan, but what I really like about it is the idea of 'circles', as in 'social circle'.
      It makes all kinds of sense to me.

The separation of Facebook business and personal pages, plus you need to be on your personal page to 'like' something, which means, essentially, that people can't immediately and intuitively 'like' your business page back, drives me completely round the twist.
    • August 20, 2011 7:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If anyone is one Google+, we're Martin and Aleta Curry. We'd be delighted to connect.
    • August 20, 2011 7:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dan Briddle said:
      Ok, I just set my Google Plus account. Learning it now.

Just found you and added.

(How's Sally doing?)

• January 13, 2012 8:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just read an article in Auction Bytes announcing Google's new approach to listing items. It sounds like it's trying to compete with Facebook and will begin giving higher visibility based on social media connections. So for example, an antique dealer who has lots of social media connections will get a higher ranking than one who does not.
      Here's the link to the article: http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y12/m01/i11/s05
    • January 13, 2012 9:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Was wondering when Google+ was going to raise the stakes. Very interesting article and one worth the read. Thanks Ann!
    • January 13, 2012 1:39 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

FB is glitchy for me a lot of the time, sometimes the glitches are bad enough I have to leave as I cannot enjoy visiting FB, and with some of the new changes I just don't enjoy it as much as I use to. Goolge+ of course is still new, it is clean, I am getting around and navigating fine with it, and so far have been enjoying it too.

I seen this article, and found it to be interesting as well. I can say that a while back in searching some things I did see something that had come from Google+ with the seller name too. I was also intrigued when seeing that.
    • January 13, 2012 1:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Is it Kim (Lilacs N Dreams)? Hoping so because I just added you to my circle (JunkboxTreasures) on Google+
    • January 13, 2012 2:32 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Daye...yes it is...LOL:) I know, one catch with google+ suppose to use your own name, or they will warn you, and close your account if you don't. Unfortunately, I have used LilacsNDreams since 2004 with everything I do...it'sWEIRD to see my true name anywhere!:) By the way...I LUV that name of Junkbox Treasures too!:) Thanks Daye, and have a sweet weekend.
    • January 13, 2012 5:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I know Kim. I'm still trying to figure out the circle thing and how that works. I also created a page for JunkboxTreasures but I'm not sure how that works either. I really like the name Lilacs N Dreams - very feminine :) Have a good weekend as well!
    • January 14, 2012 8:28 AM CST
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I'm going to figure out how to make more use of Google + in the antiques mall biz. Fasten your seat belts, lets take this for a spin.
    • January 23, 2012 4:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Google Plus certainly *will* close your account, sometimes summarily, if you do not use your real name (or something that SOUNDS like a real name!) Some people still don't, and get a nasty shock when others dob them in, and sometimes, they make stupid choices, like not allowing, e.g. 'Terry and Kim Kovel', 'Martin and Aleta Curry' although now they have business pages, I suppose you could use those for 'double acts'!

I'm inclined to believe that Google + will be the business networking place, and Facebook the place to catch up with Aunt Tilly and see the latest pictures of her dog - or that girl you went to high school with's new twins.
      People who are highly invested in Facebook seem understandably resistant, but since we came late to the Facebook game, and, as far as I can tell, the only people who make money via Facebook are the ones who sell books on how to make money on Facebook, I'm giving Google Plus a go.
    • January 23, 2012 5:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have also been visiting Google + but I'm a bit confused still. In fact, terribly confused but I plan to keep plugging away until I "get it" . I think it will end up being more of a business place but time will tell.
    • January 23, 2012 8:12 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Daye Salander said:
      I have also been visiting Google + but I'm a bit confused still. In fact, terribly confused but I plan to keep plugging away until I "get it" . I think it will end up being more of a business place but time will tell.

Well, I think one important thing is to tell all your friends.

How about if I volunteer to create an 'iantique' circle on Google+ and then share it with all participants?

So here goes:  leave your Google Plus business page name here and I'll pick it up.  Better yet, email it to me - aletasantiques at gmail dot com

I'll share the circle with everyone who signs up. That'll put people in your news stream, and you'll get an idea of how it works.

• January 23, 2012 8:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Let's run this by Dan first Aleta, before using the iAntique name for a circle. I do think we need a presence there though!
    • January 23, 2012 8:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not a problem, Daye

I'll hold off.

People can still post their business names for inclusion in other people's circles, though.
    • January 23, 2012 8:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I shot Dan an email for him to f/u on this because I agree, we need to be on Google+. And true - people can post their business names either here or maybe Dan wants to collect those or...??? No idea so we will wait until Dan decides how to move forward. Great idea Aleta!
    • January 23, 2012 11:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's also important to be clear on what G+ circles are - they're not business entities, they're the way individuals group the people and businesses they know. Theoretially, all 5400 iantiques members could have a circle called 'iantiques'. In fact, all 5400 iantiques members and their businesses could have 'iantiques' circles. Or 'my iantiques friends'. Or 'iantiques sucks' or 'people i met on iantiques'.

The only way anybody else knows what circles you have or what they're called is if you actually 'share' the circle with them. And of course, they could then call their circle something else.

If you were thinking of a formal iantique business page, Daye, that is something else entirely. Again, anyone could create one at present and they'd be the administrator of it. So Dan (or someone else official) should grab the name first, but I think he already has?
    • January 24, 2012 6:24 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good explanation! As you can see, I don't know much about Googole+. I can see I have SO much to learn!
    • January 25, 2012 4:33 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Daye Salander said:
      Good explanation! As you can see, I don't know much about Googole+. I can see I have SO much to learn!

Join the club! This is the very first time I've ever been in on the launch of anything Internet, and I was feeling quite smug until I realised how quickly I was falling behind!

A little more: as an individual, one can add any page into one's circles; but as a business entity (Google Plus Business page) you can only add someone if they've added you first. Maybe so that people don't get bombarded with information and spam they don't want?

• January 25, 2012 5:42 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hee Hee - oh yes, know that feeling :) Interesting - I put up a business page for myself a few weeks ago and was not sure how to bring people to me...how the heck does anyone new that does not know me yet find me?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel