Marble Videos

Machine Made Marbles

Losing Your Marbles

Forums Antiques - Collectibles Disussions Marketing Ideas and Social Media
  • Topic: Why Isn't Anyone Talking To Me On Facebook?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 22, 2011 10:39 AM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I was reading an article on Mashable.com about 'Having Fun Creates Social Media Success'.

The author has two great opening paragraphs:

Some people look at their Facebook page, Twitter stream etc, and say why isn’t anyone talking to me?  Well the reason is that you are not talking to them!

Instead of seeing the social network you interact on as a way to push your product, or tell everyone how amazing you are, see it as a party.  Not just any party, but a party that you are hosting at your place.

She equates this to holding a party.  You would talk with people, even the people to the ones you don't know.  Then you'll introduce people to other people.  Offer food and drink (some people just come for the free stuff). 

Don't forget to make sure your place looks good before eveyone arrives.  Like everything else, first impressions count.

Don't forget to thank the guests that brought you something, even if its just another friend or a kind word.

Put on some music (make sure you're sending out the right vibe).

This article reinforces the information I found earlier, that strongly reminds us that the success of social networking is the SOCIAL part. 

Contstantly, pushing your product or your brand, gets old and will cost your friends.  (Point directed at the old insurance salesmen). 

Dan

Link to this article:

http://www.socialnomics.net/2011/05/13/having-fun-creates-social-media-success/

• June 1, 2011 4:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been thinking quite a bit about this. Debi is handling the facebook aspect of "Spirit of the Past Antiques", and I have been kind of wandering around finding local forums where I introduce myself...and just be myself (which is either a good thing or bad)

I try to get the website mentioned as often as possible, and I'm going to replace those terrible videos I made with (hopefully) some good short clips of some products in the store.

I have been thinking about what else I could do to get "out there" and would welcome advice. Although perhaps the answer would be I'm a little to "out there" now and might want to come in for a landing now and then.

• July 22, 2011 10:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just being yourself....need to show people who you are, what you are, kind of person you are, etc. Just like doing a posting for a sale....need to build some security, confidence, and getting people to like you...become interested in you. When they are interested, can laugh with you, feel what you say, relate to things, and know that you are human (not a robotic/spam thing) they pay more attention. They read, follow, and will converse back to you. Usually when that trust is built they will expand more by seeing what you have to offer, visiting your stores, and etc.
    • August 1, 2011 12:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Social networking is really not about you, your business, or your life at all but about getting to know people.
    • August 3, 2011 11:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good point Daye.
    • August 5, 2011 8:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We are just starting to focus on this "Social" thing. We've had our web page for quite a while and have a Q&A page, but we don't post a fraction of the actual questions we get from folks. Mostly because they phone us and we don't get it written down, or if it is a written correspondence it needs to get re-entered on the site. We really wish we could get an active Q&A going on the Facebook page I'm trying to get started. Dialogs are so helpful for everyone concerned. Once I get Facebook figured out and start promoting it maybe that will happen. And Dan, I think your videos are great -- very helpful for a new (excited) vendor. --Marian
    • August 6, 2011 2:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have many "technical" questions about using Facebook. Does anyone have suggestions about perfecting those skills?
    • August 6, 2011 2:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I find that the "Help" tab is very helpful. But I don't what level of "technical" you are looking for. I wouldn't be surprised if there are those yellow and black books out there - "Facebook for Dummies". Good luck - I am still going through a learning curve on FB myself.
    • August 6, 2011 3:14 PM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hey Marian, how about we put together a Facebook seminar ( webinar ). We have lots of skilled Facebook people, and we just share our knowledge.
    • August 20, 2011 7:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, Dan, you should. If you ask me, Facebook has a useless User Interface and zero customer service. The amount of presumed knowledge is staggering!
      Pretend you're Nike, bro - do it, Just Do It!!
    • August 22, 2011 11:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great idea dan! I'd be there as I really don't know a tenth of what Facebook can do.
    • September 9, 2011 6:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

PROD!!

(Is this happening? ;)
    • November 23, 2011 12:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There are a lot of good ideas here. One of the drawbacks to marketing with social media is that it takes a lot of work, but if you have the drive to do it well, it can be rewarding. Not only are you getting your name out there, but you get to talk to your customers! Take that opportunity, ask questions of the people you want to buy your stuff. "Where do you shop?", "When?", "What items are you looking for?". If you can get a conversation started, you're building trust with one customer at a time.

Being involved in the online community certainly helps. A great deal in fact. But there's more to it. Consider offering things to your online followers and on you website, perhaps a "Beginners Guide to Buying Antiques". Then point them to a place where they can download this PDF for free, when they enter their email address. Boom, you have a contact. And now use that to invite them to your Facebook page.

There's a few free services where you can send out to email lists like http://mailchimp.com . They have paid plans, but their free service gets you started.

This is just one idea. But look for ideas that fit how you like to interact with your customers. Maybe videos are easier for you. If you post a YouTube video, make sure you place a link in the description to your Facebook or website.

I'll stop there, but dig around on the web, there's a bunch of ideas. And a lot of them are cheap or free. Good luck!

...Just ask if you need some technical help. I do this stuff for a living...
    • November 24, 2011 12:12 PM CST
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Josh, I really like your comment about being involved in an online community. There are so many people out there running antique malls and stores that are disconnected. Involvement with other peers can bring about new ideas and provide a the positive motivation to step out of one's comfort level.

Trying to run a business in the same way it was run ten years ago may not be the best plan for success.
    • November 25, 2011 8:32 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks Daniel, It has to be frustrating for dealers and malls to realize that the way people are buying things has changed so rapidly. It's not a little ironic that Antique Dealers are starting to rely on modern technology to promote their business. But really, the selling part of the antique trade is just...business. It's more about connecting with your customers so they'll think about you the next time they want to get out with their friends and "Go Antiquing".

I think a lot of businesses have a difficult time understanding that the technology is really only about talking to their customers. It doesn't have to be scary, it's just talking to your "neighbors".

The cool thing about social media is that you aren't just talking to anybody. You're audience are people that care, they want to hear from you. That's why businesses have gotten so excited about Facebook and Twitter. They aren't wasting their words and money on people that don't care.
    • January 31, 2012 6:57 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This idea of putting the "social" first is one that I remind myself about especially when I blog or tweet. I look for ways to connect with people about topics that interest them. Not every post or every tweet is a "Buy This!" push. As Josh said, it does take a lot of work!
    • January 31, 2012 7:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very true Ann - it really is about thinking about what your readers want to hear. It's about connecting, not selling.
    • February 17, 2012 5:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

@Ann White - We actually need someone on staff full time just to do social media. Trouble is, we can't afford it!
    • February 17, 2012 9:46 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Social media takes up a lot of time because you have to be constantly interacting. Most take on the job themselves but at some point hiring somone to do it for you can be a significant advantage as you are then able to spend the time you need on what you do best.
    • February 20, 2012 9:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you need help with the social media but can't afford a full time person. There are companies out there that will do that work for you. I'd be really carefully hiring one though. In the web world it's seen as one more of those get rich quick markets. So if you go that route, make sure you check them out thoroughly.
    • February 20, 2012 5:01 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree Josh - it's really all about the person you select :)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel