(0 rates)
    • July 30, 2011 3:52 PM CDT
    • (Moderator)
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Over the last few weeks, I have heard dealers and those in the antiques business talking about how antiquing is really one of the "greenest" industries today.  Furniture, for example.  How many times have you seen  ‘disposable’ furniture decorate today’s home, only to be discarded in the trash or at garage sales within a year or two?

Now, look at the returning popularity of real wood furniture that can be found in many antiques stores-malls.  Even today’s generation is finding value in the solid built items of times past.

We talk about our society’s need to recycle; paper, plastic, metal, bottles.  It’s in the news everywhere.  We even have a special trash can to put our items in that can be recycled.  There’s  a website dedicated to ‘Going Green’.  Look up:  www.GoGreenInitiative.org.

But isn’t the antique business the KING of recycling

I’m seeing more and more people, deciding to buy products from the past; rather than buying sub-quality items found in many of the big box stores.

We should be promoting ourselves as ‘GREEN’, in everything we do.  Maybe, we can come up with a new logo or slogan that reminds everyone about the quality items available from antiques dealers and the great values that can be found.

Oh, and there is already a website:

www.AntiquesAreGreen.org

• July 30, 2011 3:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree, KING indeed!
    • July 31, 2011 9:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What an awesome point of view. I've always done whatever I could to 'buy local' or not send my money to another country that isn't even paying taxes on the money they earn from making sales in America but I never put the two together.
    • August 1, 2011 2:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dan I am so totally there with you on this topic. I have been saying for years that people buy antiques and collectibles for one of three reasons and this just goes to affirm that belief.
      They want to use the item. Why not buy something with character that is made of good quality and that is less expensive than the new items. One other thing to remember is that it has the potential to continue to increase in value even more in the future. Wow what an excellent reason to buy items in any antique mall.

• August 1, 2011 3:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Antiques of yesteryear were meant to last- not like today's stuff. The quality and craftmanship that went into furniture, toys, and other items rises far above the quality of today. Logo idea:

"Go green, save a tree, furnish with antiques" or "Be part of the Green Revolution: Re-Antique"

Hey Dan - how about a contest for a logo or slogan? That would be kind of fun for the website?
    • August 2, 2011 12:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Recycling of used and antique materials is great. Do you test for toxic materials of yesterday? Or items recalled years age because of chemical content? Modern copies/fakes (not met for the use of food service) with paper warning labels long gone. Great "Green Bubble" but chew on this: the antique business inherited the problems, prices and just passes them on. Buyer beware... Little known fact early Little Golden books are not recommended for children of today because of lead content. Get out and call hazmat if you ever break an antique fire extinguisher glass grenade in an antique store.

• August 2, 2011 11:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Bob - you have a good point however could you elaborate on the fire grenade situation? I've been wanting to purchase one and now am curious.
    • August 2, 2011 11:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cathy, sorry not the same Bob here but I will mention that they have a chemical in them that is so dangerous it can kill you with a one time exposure. It can also cause lung damage, liver damage and some other stuff. They are neat, but very dangerous to your health. If you collect them or have them for sale, please keep them in a place that they cannot be broken and warn buyers to keep them safe from damage. Not ALL of them are like this, some are just salt water inside...but I can't tell you which ones to watch for.
    • August 3, 2011 9:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You can start here: http://www.thegavel.net/grenade.html
    • August 4, 2011 8:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bob and Bob -- Thank you so much for the information. I have visited the website and talked with Bob Black. I feel more aware now and know that fire grenades are not in my future.
    • August 4, 2011 8:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think an awesome ad campaign would be a comparative pricing ad. Showing a room that has been furnished through antique malls/rummage sales/auction houses and then a comparable room that has been furnished from Steger's or some other furniture store that isn't so outlandish but not cheap press board garbage either. Or an ad that shows a room full of the press board garbage with a total price and then a room filled with real furniture - showing the added value, style, and durability. IKEA is popular - compare that with the form, function, and beauty of real furniture.
    • August 4, 2011 9:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ya know Cathy - I often use the relationship between new fashion jewelry and vintage because the old is better in every way.

It seems Americans, anyhow, are all about the "look", not how well it is made. They seem to want nothing but the right appearance. They don't seem to care about quality.
    • August 4, 2011 11:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As true as that probably is for a lot of people I think also there are some that could be educated.
    • August 4, 2011 7:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

that certainly may be true and all of us should do our part in educating the public about antiques and collectibles.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel