Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 4, 2011 11:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

People love their dogs and most antique and flea markets let people bring in their pets.  Recently I had the idea to hire my son (he is a professional caraicture artist) for a new idea to get customers in the store.  Below is one of the things we came up with.  Not only does it do a good community service it will bring in the people.  We have had a lot of postive feed back on the event and it has not happend yet.  I will post pictures and how much of a crowd we draw when it is done.  The good thing about this type of event is you can get non profit advertising rates with papers and most radio and TV stations will promote free of charge.  If anyone else would like to explore this option let me know and I will put them in touch with my son.

MIKES UNIQUE COLLECTABLE AND ANTIQUE FLEA MARKET PRESENTS

1st Annual DOGS AND THEIR PEOPLE EVENT

A Fund Raiser for C.A.R.E.

15 September – 19 September 2011

Mikes Unique Collectable and Antique Flea Market invites all dogs and their people to our store on the 15th - 18th of September to have their picture drawn by caricature artist Jared Cook!

For those dogs a little big or rambunctious please send in your people with at least three pictures of different angles!

All other pets, Cats, Snakes, Gorillas, Fish, and Unicorns are invited to send in their people with their pictures from several different angles.

This event is brought to you by Mikes Unique Collectable and Antique Flea Market, Artist Jared Cook and C.A.R.E. “Castaway Animal Rescue Effort”

There is no cost for this event – Donations for C.A.R.E will be greatly appreciated. C.A.R.E. is always in need of canned and bagged pet food and will accept donations during that week at Mikes!
    • September 10, 2011 9:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Great idea Mike. Love it!
    • September 26, 2011 1:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is cute. Interestingly, at the last fair we exhibited at, some sellers took exception to a spaniel-sized dog entering their booths. I think it was that the dog was a bit too unruly. Does everyone in your place have cabinets, Mike? I would think it might get hairy with 'table top' displays and puppy dogs' tails! As dog-lovers, we're so curious about this one - how did it go? Tell, tell!

This post was edited by Martin & Aleta Curry at September 26, 2011 1:42 AM CDT
    • September 26, 2011 7:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Dogs are always welcome in my store. There has only been a couple of accidents and theynare usually better behaved than the owners.
    • September 26, 2011 7:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

But they don't usually buy as much as the owners. On a more serious note, I would rather see the dogs in the store than waiting in a hot car.
    • October 3, 2011 7:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Claude Leaman said:
      But they don't usually buy as much as the owners. On a more serious note, I would rather see the dogs in the store than waiting in a hot car.

Can't argue with either of those points!
    • October 4, 2011 8:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi

Our event was a great success - Over the weekend my son drew over 160 pictures and raised a lot of money for CARE  Castaway Animal Rescue Effort.   All the people and dogs were well behaved.   Most people just brought in pictures.

Keep in mind that this was a marketing idea that combines our business with helping a charitable event.  The bottom line is advertising to get people in the store.  You can do any kind of event to help any charity that you support.  It is a win win for everyone.  You help the charity raise money and get people into your store that may otherwise not visit.  You also get the added benefit of reduced advertising rates since the event will be in support of a non profit charity,   It could be for Breast Cancer, Wounded Warriors, MDS,

Pictures coming soon
    • December 21, 2011 8:19 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For anyone that's interested. I've posted an article at http://www.antiquedealersupply.com/t-Ten-Things-Antique-Dealers-Should-Know-About-Marketing.aspx on the top ten things antique dealers should know about marketing. It's difficult to shorten the list to ten, but it's a good exercise in identifying what's important. Enjoy!
    • December 21, 2011 9:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good article with some good solid points. Thanks!

• January 31, 2012 7:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Josh, your Cycle the Inventory suggestion makes for a nice win-win for those of us without a brick storefront but with a digital shop. I've found wonderful items at auctions that come from antique dealers - and sold them in one of my online stores. This is such a practical recycle idea, and it goes in hand with the Sharing thread.
    • January 31, 2012 7:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good article Josh - I also shared this on our Facebook page.
    • January 31, 2012 8:26 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the comments (and the Facebook post Daye)! The whole idea of rotating your inventory goes a little deeper too. If your regular customers know that you don't keep things in stock too long. It creates a sense of urgency to "buy now before it's too late".
    • January 31, 2012 8:30 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I just don't get it sometimes - at the antique mall we sell at, sometimes the owners of the booths won't come in for months at a time.
    • January 31, 2012 9:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Daye, as one who has had multiple dealers you are correct(as always) about dealers not coming in for months and then wondering why they don't make any money or sell anything. I have had many customers tell me they go to a lot stores in many places and the same things are in the same places for the same prices just with more dust.
    • January 31, 2012 9:44 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah Claude, but the dust is FREE! LOL You really do have to treat it like a business and actively tend to it. If you don't, it isn't going to do much in return.
    • January 31, 2012 9:53 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

BUT, over the years of being here I have noticed that a third of my sales are items that I have had for more that a year, a third that are 6 months to a year old, and a third that is 6 months old or less. So while it can be profitable to let items hang around a while, you still have to constantly bring in fresh mdse or you will miss a third of your sales.

This post was edited by Claude Leaman at January 31, 2012 9:55 AM CST
    • January 31, 2012 9:56 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Claude Leaman said:

BUT, over the years of being here I have noticed that a third of my sales are items that I have had for more that a year, a third that are 6 months to a year old, and a third that is 6 months old or less. So while it can be profitable to let items hang around a while, you still have to constantly bring in fresh mdse or you will miss a third of your sales.

• January 31, 2012 9:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good point Claude! It is also important to rotate items within your booth or shop. A new location often makes people see it...for the first time.
    • March 29, 2016 12:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled title

You also wanted to just be unique, make your ow brand. Brand name that is competitive and attractive among other players in the market.

Regards.

Erine, check me at http://eatmywords.com/services/workshops/

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel